The first "Southern Cross" used by Selwyn was shipwrecked on a reef near New Zealand in 1860
A replacement sailing schooner "Southern Cross" was build in 1863, but this was replaced with a steam ship "SS Southern Cross" in 1903.
The following picture of the "SS Southern Cross" was taken in the 1930's. It is not clear if this is the same as the 1903 ship as some changes seem to have occurred (this has only two mast, where the 1903 ship had three masts).
Return to History of the Brotherhood